MONARCH BUTTERFLY IN MICHOACÁN
Every year between the end of November and February, millions of Monarch butterflies come all the way down from the US and Canada to Central Mexico Highlands to spend the winter here. Mextrotter offers you a 5-day pre-programme to watch this unique show of nature.
Day 1. Arrival in Mexico City. Transfer to your hotel in the city centre. Holiday Inn Zocalo (4-Stern)
Day 2. Nevado de Toluca. Nevado de Toluca or Xinantécatl - the Aztec name – is located about 50 km southwest of the important industrial city Toluca. This volcano is over 4,600 meters high and the fourth highest mountain in Mexico. Since the 14th century the volcano has not been active. The Nevado is the only volcano in the world where you can go into the crater by car. Of course, the way is "stony” and it takes about one hour on the sandy road. At the top of the large crater there are two crater lakes with crystal-clear water called "sun" and "moon". There you can take a wonderful walk or even hike. In winter, the slopes of Nevado de Toluca are an irregular ski area!
On to Zitacuaro
Zitacuaro is a small city (population of approx. 80,000) half way between Mexico City and the capital of Michoacan, Morelia. Zitacuaro is in the heart of the sanctuaries of the Monarch butterfly. This amazing insect flies from Canada and the United States to Mexico in order to hibernate and mate. They arrive to the region by mid-November and return to the North in early March. They are most active in late February and early March. Hotel Rancho San Cayetano.
Day 3. Cerro Pelón Sanctuary. Today you’ll have your first encounter with the beautiful Monarch butterfly. You will leave the hotel around 10 in the morning to visit one of the new butterfly sanctuaries: you will climb the mountain on foot or by horse for about an hour and a half with a local guide.
The whole excursion lasts about 5 hours (you will take a box lunch with you); after that, you will enjoy a 25 minute video about the Monarch butterfly. Hotel Rancho San Cayetano.
Day 4. Angangueo. Angangueo is a town known for its history of mining and its location in the Monarch butterfly Biosphere Reserve. The town’s irregular layout has remained the same since colonial times. Most of the houses around the town are made of adobe with wood details and red tile roofs.
Visit El Rosario Sanctuary. Second encounter with this beautiful insect: walking or by horse, with local guide. Hotel Posada Don Bruno.
Day 5. Back to Mexico City.
- Accommodation in double room with breakfast in all hotels and dinner in Rancho San Cayetano
- Transportation in comfortable vehicle with driver-guide or driver and guide (depending on the number of participants)
- Visits to Monarch butterfly sanctuaries
- English speaking tour guide
total of 2 participants, per Person in double room = 995.00 Euro
total of 4 participants, per person in double room = 675.00 Euro
6 or more participants, per person in double room = 625.00 Euro
Optional with rental car (drive at your own) - WITHOUT ENTRANCE FEES, WITHOUT TOURGUIDE
with 2 participants, per person in double room = 475.00 Euro
with 4 participants, per person in double room = 450.00 Euro
Single Room Supplement = 145.00 Euro
- Accommodation in a double room with breakfast in all hotels and dinner at Rancho San Cayetano
- English speaking guide
- Transfer in comfortable vehicles with driver's cabin or driver and guide. (Depending on the number of participants)
- Visits to monarchy protected areas including admission
- With 2 parts per person in double room = 995,00 Euro
- For 4 parts per person in double room = 675.00 Euro
- From 6 parts per person in double room = 625,00 Euro
As a (car) self drive - WITHOUT REGISTRATION FEES, WITHOUT TRAVELING
- For 2 parts (medium class cars) per person in double room = 475,00 Euro
- At 4 parts (SUV, Family van) per person in double room = 450,00 Euro
You can choose from a selection of nature experiences in Mexico